Kansai Program


to the University of Kansas Applied English Center.  We are excited to meet you and work with you during your time in Kansas.  Your program will include intensive English study, the possibility of university academic course work and cultural enrichment through campus and Lawrence community outreach.  You will be living in campus housing and have the opportunity to meet many American students.  There are student groups you can join and activities you can participate in while you are here.  We hope the information on this site will answer all of your questions.  If you need more information, please email your question to aecstp@ku.edu.

You can view the Kansai Program Proposal with complete details on your program here.

Expect to be busy, learn a lot and have fun in


This program is sponsored by Kansai University in Osaka, Japan. Only participants selected by the sponsor are eligible for the program.

March - December 2017

Pre-arrival Information

Climate and Weather

Lawrence experiences four distinct seasons. Temperatures during spring (March to May) and fall (October and November) can be quite mild, with more extreme temperatures on each end of these seasons. Summer (June to September) temperatures can be quite hot, and winter (December to February) temperatures can be cold, dropping below freezing on a regular basis.

Please keep in mind that the weather in Lawrence can be quite varied, with large temperature changes from day to day and even during the same day.

When packing, you may want to pack clothing that you can layer based on the day’s weather – and don’t forget an umbrella!

Below are some links to help you identify average temperature and precipitation patterns as well as see the current weather forecasts.

Climate:  http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/lawrence/kansas/united-states/usks0319/2016/1

Weather:  http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/lawrence-ks/66044/weather-forecast/328846

Different Systems


The United States is one place that does not use the metric system.

There are numerous websites to help you with that.

There are even apps for iPhone and Android that you can download and keep on your phone.

The mathematical formulas to convert temperature are:

Fahrenheit to Celsius: (⁰ F – 32) ÷ 1.8 = ⁰ C

Celsius to Fahrenheit: (⁰ C × 1.8) + 32 = ⁰ F

Here is a website that includes a quick temperature equivalency as well as a converter and other useful information: http://www.mathsisfun.com/temperature-conversion.html

Here are some charts for common measurements:  http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/metric_conversion_chart.html

Here is a website where you can convert between the metric system and the units of measure used in the U.S.:  http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/conversions.html

And finally, here is a currency converter:  http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/

Electrical power supply

The electrical current used in the United States is 110-125 volts AC (alternating current), 60Hz (cycles per second). This is different from that of many other countries.

If you bring appliances from home, you may need an adapter to make sure your appliances work properly.

Chargers for cell phones and computers may work on multiple power systems.

Make sure to check any electronic devices (computer) or appliances (hair dryer) that you are thinking about bringing to the US to see if you will need an adapter.

It is often easier to purchase an adapter in your own country. Even if you have an adapter or a device that works on both power systems, you will probably need a device that adjusts to the American outlet shape.

Here is a link for more information: http://www.howtogeek.com/168564/what-you-need-to-know-about-power-outlets-and-voltages-when-travelling-internationally/ .

Coins and currency

Like other countries in the world, the U.S. issues their own coins and currency. The coins, in particular, can be somewhat confusing because of their size and special names. Below are the common coins and bills you will see. (Note: There are additional coins and bills that exist but they are not common.)

Coins ¢


Currency (bills) $


Portion of dollar



1 dollar

1 cent




5 dollars

5 cents




10 dollars

10 cents




20 dollars

 25 cents

¼  or 25/100



50 dollars





100 dollars

If you would like to see the coins and bills you might see in the U.S., please visit the following websites:


https://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/circulatingCoins/index.html Currency:




The standard address format for mailing items to and within the U.S. is as follows:


Street Address

(Additional information for the street address, if needed)

City, State (2 letter code)  zip code

On an envelope or package, you should include the sender’s name and address in the upper left hand corner in case the item needs to be returned to the sender.

The recipient’s name and address are in the center of the envelope.

If you would like to see what an addressed envelope should look like, you can visit: http://www.nhcs.net/parsley/curriculum/postal/envelope.html.



Feeling unwell in a different country can be one of the hardest parts of travel. It is difficult to know how to treat various pain or illnesses without familiar medications or natural remedies.

Medications in the U.S. are tested thoroughly and are generally safe. Many common medications, such as pain relievers, stomach medicines, and allergy and cold medications are even available without a prescription.

Some medications can seem expensive to visitors from other countries. Other people prefer more natural remedies, which may or may not be available in the U.S. Still others need prescription medications for chronic medical conditions.

It is possible to bring medications into the U.S., but you need to do thorough research on your particular medication before bringing it.

Some general guidelines, which may or may not apply in your situation, are:

  • The item should be in the original container.
  • You should only bring enough of the product for personal use during your program. No more than a 90 day supply is allowed.
  • Prescription medications are often not allowed unless the medication has been approved for use in the U.S. or is for a serious condition for which there is no treatment available in the U.S. (there are many requirements for the latter)
  • If you have a prescription medicine, you should bring a prescription or doctor’s note in English about the medication and why you need it.
  • Natural remedies or medications which have ingredients from animals may be banned.

You can also start a more thorough search at:  http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm484154.htm

Currency Exchange

The airport in Kansas City is small and does not have any currency exchange kiosks. If your first stop in the U.S. is at a major airport, you may be able to exchange money there.

It can be difficult to exchange money once you reach Kansas. Although there is one bank in Lawrence that will exchange money, it can be a difficult and time-consuming process.

It is recommended that you bring either a bank card so you can withdraw money from an ATM (automated teller machine) or bring traveler’s checks (in U.S. dollars). Although both will likely involve some fees, these are the simplest and safest methods for accessing money.

Although it is a good idea to bring some U.S. currency to Kansas with you, it is not recommended that you carry large amounts of cash with you.

Once you arrive in the U.S.

What to expect when entering the U.S.

When entering the U.S., you will need to show your passport, visa, and KU I-20 (if F-1) or DS-2019 (if J-1). Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months after your arrival.

You may be fingerprinted, photographed, and an entry stamp may be placed in your passport. You may be asked to go to another line where they will look at your documents and ask additional questions.

Do not be scared. This is all normal.

This may take 2-4 hours or longer to complete. Allow enough time between flights to complete all steps.

Your arrival will be registered electronically.

What to expect in Lawrence


The U.S., and the middle of the country in particular, has a car based culture. Most Americans who live outside of major cities have a car and bus systems are either unavailable or not as extensive or convenient as they may be in other countries around the world.

Lawrence does have a bus system. It is free to ride with a KU ID card. However, there is no service on Sundays and service in the summer, during university breaks, in the evening, and on Saturdays is limited.

Unfortunately, transportation to places outside of Lawrence, such as Kansas City, is very limited and can be expensive. Taxis, Uber, and shuttle services are all available but must be arranged ahead of time. Sharing the costs of these services with several other people can make them more cost-effective.

The K-10 Connector is a bus service that runs between Lawrence and Johnson County Community College (JCCC) in Overland Park, a suburb of Kansas City. From JCCC you should be able to take Kansas City buses into downtown Kansas City.

The K-10 Connector is primarily a commuter service and only operates Monday – Friday from about 6 am until 6 pm, with a couple of buses Monday – Thursday evenings. More details will be listed in the Handbook you will receive when you arrive.


As a KU student, you will be able to connect to the internet on your cell phone or computer using the free Wireless internet available in all campus buildings and residence halls.

Computers are available for use in the KU libraries and in several computers labs on campus.

Printing is available but does cost additional money - $0.08 for each black and white page (1 sided) and $0.48 for each color page (1 sided). Printing is connected to your KU ID card and can be purchased via credit card or cash. See your handbook upon arrival for more details on how to print on campus.

There are no public or pay phones on the KU campus. There are also no landline connections in the on—campus residence halls. To speak with your family and friends you will need to use an online phone service such as Skype, purchase an American cell phone, or have U.S. service set up on your cell phone from home.

Arrival March 22, 2017

Travel Information
  • You will be arriving at Kansas City International Airport (MCI).
  • You will spend your first night at an airport hotel.
  • We will pick you up at the hotel with a bus and escort you to Lawrence.
  • Travel time from the airport to KU is about one hour.
  • When we arrive in Lawrence we will help you get checked into your dormitory.
  • You will be meeting your roommate and getting settled.
Housing and Dining Options for Kansai University Students at KU

As a Kansai University student, you will have some options for housing and dining plans during your stay at KU. In addition to university run housing and dining, you now also have the opportunity to choose a privately run residence hall, Naismith Hall. You can choose a different option each term. No matter your choice, you will have approximately the same amenities such as laundry facilities, resident advisors who will help you adjust to life at KU, and activities planned specifically for your residence hall or floor/hallway. It is more likely that you will share a room with another Kansai student during the spring and summer.  By fall, you should hopefully be able to room with other friends you meet at KU.

The following information is designed to help you decide which option to choose.

KU Residence Hall and Dining         

If you choose KU owned and operated housing and dining, you will be housed in Oliver Hall, Gertrude-Sellers-Price (GSP), or Hashinger Hall during the spring when you arrive. There are also spring openings for females in Jayhawker Towers, the KU owned apartments. In the summer you must move to Templin or Self Halls. They are the only on-campus residence halls open, as many domestic students go home for the summer. Those living in Jayhawker Towers apartments may or may not have to move for summer semester. Depending on availability in the fall, you may have the option to live in Oliver Hall, Hashinger Hall, GSP, or perhaps even Jayhawker Towers. In these residence halls and apartments, you will live in a room with another person and share your bathroom with others in your suite, apartment, or hallway. You can find out more about these halls and see photos at https://housing.ku.edu/residence-halls or https://housing.ku.edu/jayhawker-towers.

KU residence halls have limited kitchen facilities and you are required to have a KU dining plan. One advantage of having a KU dining plan is that you may eat at any of the three campus dining halls (there is only one dining hall open during the summer and over university breaks). To learn a little more about KU dining, please visit https://union.ku.edu/ku-dining-locations-and-hours.

Naismith Residence Hall and Dining

Naismith is a privately owned residence hall with its own dining service. The location of Naismith Hall is as good as KU residence halls and the residents of Naismith Hall are KU students.Naismith is open all year. During the summer there are fewer KU students living in Lawrence, so Naismith Hall hosts younger students from local and regional schools and organizations attending summer camps at KU. If you live in Naismith in the spring, this will probably mean that you will have to change rooms for summer semester. In Naismith you will share your room with another person and share your bathroom with your roommate and the residents of the adjoining room. Naismith Hall also has its own workout facility and small swimming pool.

Although Naismith Hall has a small kitchen facility, you are required to have a Naismith Hall dining plan. This dining plan can only be used in the Naismith dining hall. 

To learn more about Naismith Hall and Dining and to see photos please visit http://naismithhall.com/.

In order to help you choose your housing and dining options, here are prices for the time when you are at KU. Remember, you only sign a contract for one semester at a time, so you may choose different options for each semester. Choices for summer and fall semesters can be made closer to the start of those semesters. Please note that not all of the choices below may be available.




























In case of sickness, you should first go to the Watkins Student Health Center on campus.


  • As a student at the Applied English Center, you will be eligible for the full services offered by the Watkins Student Health Center at KU. You must have your KUID with you to receive medical treatment.
  • There is a charge for many services, including medications, x-rays and minor surgery. You or your health insurance company must pay these charges.
  • Prescriptions filled at the Student Health Center are not free, but they are less expensive than other pharmacies.
  • Dental care is not available at Watkins.

Regular office hours are:

  • Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 6:00pm
  • Saturday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
  • Sunday: Closed

During student breaks, hours are:

  • Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 4:30pm
  • Saturday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
  • Sunday: Closed

Appointment Line: 785-864-9507
Pharmacy: 785-864-9512
Automated Line: 785-864-9500
Emergency: 911

Health Insurance

You will be covered by KU student health insurance.

As a full-time student at the AEC, you will be able to see a doctor for free while you are at KU.

Any medical tests, medications or treatments you receive will be partially covered by your insurance but you will also be responsible for part of these costs.  The exact distribution of charges will depend upon which tests, medication or treatments you require but, in general, insurance covers about 80% of your medical charges.  During the break times between semesters, there may be a charge for visiting a doctor but your insurance will help pay for that charge.

Medical Check in

In order to be allowed to enroll at KU, you must have:

  • two (2) Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) vaccinations,
  • a Turberculosis test, and
  • a Meningitis vaccination

If you have an official vaccination record that shows you have already taken the MMR and/or Meningitis vaccinations in your home country, you can bring it with you. The record must be in English, show the date you took the vaccination, and be signed by a doctor.

In the US, the MMR vaccination contains three vaccines – one each for Measles, Mumps and Rubella.  In your country each of these vaccines might be given separately.  Your records must show two vaccinations for each disease.

The Tuberculosis test must be taken in the U.S., so any test results regarding TB that you bring from your country will not be accepted.

If you do not have the correct vaccination record, you will be required to take the vaccinations here. 

  • Your insurance will cover 100% of the cost of these required immunizations.
  • If you think you have had these vaccinations but don't have a record, the staff at Watkins will offer you the possibility of taking a blood test (called a titer test) to check your immunity levels. Your insurance will not cover the costs of these tests.

The Applied English Center is dedicated to helping students whose first language is not English to make a smooth transition to regular, full-time coursework at the University of Kansas. All incoming students whose native language is not English are required to take the AEC Proficiency Test upon arrival on campus. Based upon the results of your exam, you may be required to take coursework at the Applied English Center to help improve your command of English.

The length of time you study at the AEC depends upon your level of English when you arrive, the speed at which you learn, and your willingness to study hard. Some students take only one or two AEC courses and move into regular KU classes after one semester. Other students spend one or two semesters as full-time AEC students, and then two or more semesters as part-time AEC students. Progression through the AEC is determined by the successful completion of student learning outcomes for each course.

AEC Courses

Core Courses:
There are two core courses at each level: Reading/Writing/Grammar and Listening/Speaking/Grammar. Core courses meet four days per week: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. 

Support Courses:
Students in Levels 1-3 are required to enroll in a support course which will further develop what students learn in their core courses. Support courses meet one day per week. 

Elective Courses:
Students in the upper levels can enroll in up to two elective courses designed to enhance their understanding of the English language and/or campus and community culture. Electives meet one day per week.

Your placement in these classes will be determined by your scores on the Michigan Language Assessment (formerly CaMLA) Entrance Examination.

Summer Internship

During the summer, you will be participating in an academic internship. This will include class meetings with your internship instructor as well as weekly time spent working at your internship placement. Because of the small number of Kansai students coming to KU this year there will only be two internship choices available. Two students will work at the International Student Services office on campus and one student will work with the Applied English Center’s Conversation Groups on campus.

Contact Information

The office is open from 8:00am - 5:00pm, Monday - Friday. You may call the office to contact Geri Lamer or an AEC instructor during those hours. During the evenings or weekends, if you need to speak with someone from the AEC, you should call Geri Lamer.

Geri Lamer (Contact for emergencies)
(785) 864-1321
Mobile: (785) 764-2781

Margaret Coffey
Office: (785) 864-1307

Aaron Huerter
Office: (785) 864-5316

Mindy Van House
Office: (785) 864-1496

Optional Activities


One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester year, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents.
Start working on your degree now! You can take university classes for credit at the same time you are taking English classes.
Earn university credits now! You can use 9 AEC credits as elective credits toward your KU degree in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Business, and Architecture.
Fulfill a university requirement! Completion of your English proficiency requirements means you have finished your foreign language requirement at the University of Kanas.
CONNECT with the AEC