Welcome to LEO! The Learning English Online (LEO) computer lab, located in 226 Fraser Hall, consists of 21 computers, including an instructor machine that is connected to an overhead LCD projector for display to the class. In addition to the standard Office 2010 installation (Word, PowerPoint and Excel), the room provides access to Focus on Grammar, Oxford Picture Dictionary Interactive and a variety of multimedia and typing programs. Students can listen to AEC textbook supplements and record their voices digitally for class assignments. Although the lab is primarily used as a teaching classroom, it can be used by students any time the lab is free.
- Adult Learning Activities: Vocabulary and comprehension exercises based on CNN News stories you can read and listen to.
- Englishpage.com: Tutorials and exercises for vocabulary, verb tenses, conditionals, modals, and prepositions.
- Interesting Things for ESL Students: A fun study site for learners of English as a Second Language. Word games, puzzles, quizzes, exercises, slang, proverbs and much more.
- NPR.org: This site features a huge number of articles, photographs, and sound files from a variety of non-commercial radio programs.
- WGBH Forum Network Channel: Taped interviews and videos of lectures by academics, and interviews featuring political figures and business executives. Provided by PBS and NPR.
- Randall's ESL Cyber Listening Lab: Many listening activities for beginning to advanced students.
- TED Talks: 1100+ talks to stir your curiosity. Browse by subject, length, or rating (inspiring, jaw-dropping, funny).
- Writing DEN: Articles with photographs and sound files, accompanied by vocabulary, comprehension, and notetaking questions at the word, sentence, and paragraph levels.
- Guide to Grammar and Writing: Explanations and exercises by Professor Charles Darling of the Capital Community College in Hartford, Connecticut.
- Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English Online: The online version of the popular student dictionary.
- Merriam Webster Online: Includes a pronunciation dictionary and thesaurus for definitions or synonyms.