Health and Medical Care

Watkins Health Center

  • The Student Health Service at Watkins Health Center provides health care for students of the university. You pay a health fee as part of the university enrollment fee. This fee prepays for many services: medical evaluations and examinations, most treatment for illnesses and injuries, dietary advice, and the first visit for physical therapy and mental health services.
  • Other services, such as medications, X‑rays and minor surgery, are not entirely covered by the health fee. You may get an itemized bill for these services. You or your insurance company must pay these bills. You can use the Health Center between semesters, but you will be charged for all services used between semesters.
  • Dental care is not available at Watkins. Health care for families of students is not normally provided at Watkins except for emergency services.
  • During the regular semester, the Health Service is open 8:00 a.m.–8:00 p.m. Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m.–4:30 p.m. Saturday, and 12:30 p.m.–4:30 p.m. Sunday. There is an after-hours charge after 4:30 p.m. Monday–Friday, after 11:30 a.m. Saturday, and all day Sunday. Spring break and between-semester hours are 8:00 a.m.–4:30 p.m. daily. The Health Center is closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Day, and Memorial Day. You must have your KUID with you to receive medical treatment.

Health Insurance

  • All international students are required to have health insurance. You received information when you attended International Student Services Orientation meetings. The following website will give you information: and click on Insurance. You can also go to Room 2 Strong Hall for more information. If you are not an international student, you do not need to do this.

Private Doctors, Dentists, and Eye Doctors

  • For a complete list of private doctors, specialists, dentists, and eye doctors (optometrists or ophthalmologists), check the Yellow Pages of the Lawrence telephone directory, or check with the AEC cross-cultural advisors or the Office of International Student Services.

One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester year, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents.
Start working on your degree now! You can take university classes for credit at the same time you are taking English classes.
Earn university credits now! You can use 9 AEC credits as elective credits toward your KU degree in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Business, and Architecture.
Fulfill a university requirement! Completion of your English proficiency requirements means you have finished your foreign language requirement at the University of Kansas.
CONNECT with the AEC