• Home
  • Health Care (for Married Students)

Health Care

All international students are required to have health insurance. You received information when you attended International Student Services Orientation meetings. The following website will give you information:  www.iss.ku.edu.  Click on the Health Insurance link.  You can also go to Room 2 Strong Hall for more information.

For health problems, KU students can go to Watkins Health Center on the KU campus, but family members who are not students cannot receive services at Watkins.

To find a doctor for your family, ask a doctor at Watkins Health Center for a list of doctors, or ask a friend. Many doctors are listed in the Yellow Pages of the Lawrence telephone directory under Physicians. You must call for an appointment before seeing a doctor.

The Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department gives some health care services to people in the community. These services include a well-baby clinic, family planning, pregnancy testing, and an immunization clinic. You must call for an appointment. Public health services in the United States do not provide complete health care, so, for most health care, your family will have to go to a private doctor.

It is important to get early care in pregnancy. Most American doctors charge one fee for prenatal care (care during pregnancy) and delivery (birth) of the baby no matter when a woman comes to them for care. Going to a doctor early in a pregnancy will help ensure the health of mother and child.

There are three walk-in medical clinics (First Med, MedExpress, and PromptCare) which are open seven days a week. You do not need an appointment to go to one of these walk-in clinics.

The emergency room of the Lawrence Memorial Hospital is available to anyone, but should be used only in true emergencies. The emergency room is not a primary care facilities and should not be used for routine medical care like colds or flu.

Founded in 1964 as part of a Ford Foundation campus internationalization grant
One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
The AEC comprises three units: the Intensive English Program, Short-term Programs, and KU Outreach Programs.
Each semester, the AEC enrolls about 550 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents
The Applied English Center offers field trips and conversation groups to our students