Each semester the AEC participates in several student activities throughout the semester. Student activities are a great way to make new friends and get involved in the university and the community while practicing your English. We participate in activities to enhance your experience of living and studying abroad as well as giving you opportunities to practice your English in the “real world”. If you want to improve your English skills, it is important to take your English outside of the classroom.
There are many kinds of activities, such as visiting museums, playing sports, attending local cultural events, and celebrating American holidays.
How do you find out about activities? Go to conversation groups and the leaders will give you a flyer about upcoming activities. Also be sure to watch your email. Activity announcements are sent out to your KU email address. You can also check the AEC Conversation Group Facebook site (go to Facebook and search for “Applied English Center Conversation Groups”) or check the bulletin board in the hallway outside the AEC office.
Here are the guidelines that you need to follow to participate in activities:
- Some activities are free and some cost money. Check the flyer for this information.
- Some activities have a limit of how many people can go. Check the flyer for this information.
- If an activity is cancelled, due to rain or not enough students, we will send you an email.
- You may need to purchase tickets before an activity. If you would like help, a conversation leader at conversation groups will be happy to help you any time.
- A great way to prepare for these activities and practice the vocabulary you learn from them is to attend conversation groups in 2042 Malott.
If you have questions about an activity, email Jacque Manicki. You can also talk to the conversation leaders at conversation groups for information and details.