Shopping in Lawrence
There are many places to shop in Lawrence. Two main shopping areas, which are accessible for students riding the bus, are downtown Lawrence and the shopping area around 31st and Iowa. Although there are far too many stores to list, below are some of the stores that are well-known in Lawrence or might be popular for short-term students.
- Arizona Trading Company (736 Mass, between 7th and 8th): Used and vintage clothing and funky accessories.
- Gary Gribble’s Running Sports (839 Mass, near 9th): Running shoes and gear.
- Jock’s Nitch (837 Mass, near 9th): Sporting goods and KU clothing.
- Kansas Sampler/Rally House (921 Mass, between 9th and 10th): Features a large selection of KU gear as well as gear for other college and professional sports teams in Kansas. The store also has a selection of items related to Kansas.
- Love Garden Sounds (822 Mass, near 9th): This music store features a large selection of vinyl and used CD’s. Check out the giant music posters available as well.
- Signs of Life (722 Mass, between 7th and 8th): This bookstore also features a coffeehouse and a mini art gallery. Serious piano players are also welcome to sit down at the grand piano and treat the other customers to a tune.
- Sunflower Outdoor & Bike Shop (802 Mass, at 8th): Everything you need for hiking, camping or biking.
- The Dusty Bookshelf (708 Mass, at 7th): Sells used books in both English and foreign languages. This bookstore is also home to three friendly but quiet cats.
- The Raven (6 E. 7th St, near Mass): Specializes in mystery novels, but also has a wonderful children’s book section.
- Waxman Candles (609 Mass, at 6th): This locally owned store has the largest collection of candles, incense and related products in Lawrence. All of the candles are made at the store.
- Weaver’s Department Store (901 Mass, at 9th): Founded in 1857, this department store is a Lawrence icon. It has a little bit of everything: clothes for men and women, full-lines of cosmetics, articles for the bedroom and bathroom, appliances…
31st and Iowa
- Aldi (3025 Iowa, just north of 31st): At this smaller chain store you can find groceries at a very good price. Aldi also sells a small selection of home goods at very reasonable prices.
- Bed, Bath, and Beyond (3106 Iowa, just south of 31st): This is a large chain store which features a large selection of home goods.
- Best Buy (2020 W. 31st St, just east of Iowa): This chain store sells all sorts of electronics, large and small appliances, movies, music, and videogames.
- Goodwill (2200 W. 31st, just west of Iowa): This is a second-hand discount store with locations around the U.S. You can buy used clothing and home goods here. If you have items at the end of your time here that you can’t fit in your suitcase, you can donate them here.
- Kohl’s (3240 Iowa, just south of 31st): This large chain store features clothing, shoes, and jewelry. However, it also has a selection of home goods such as bedding, towels, suitcases, dishes, and small kitchen appliances.
- Target (3201 Iowa, just south of 31st): This large chain offers a little bit of everything: clothes and shoes, cosmetics, jewelry, electronics, books and movies, toys, exercise items, many items for the home, and even food. It also contains a pharmacy.
- Walmart (3300 Iowa, just south of 31st or 550 Congressional, off 6th just west of Wakarusa): This is the largest chain store in the U.S. It is very similar to Target in that it offers a little bit of everything. One difference is that the Walmart on Iowa also offers a garage for basic automotive services.