Advice from the KU Public Safety Office:
- Don’t leave belongings unattended in public places. Most thefts on campus happen in residence hall cafeterias, student union cafeterias, Watson Library, and Robinson Gymnasium.
- Lock the door to your room or apartment, even if you’re only going down the hall for a few minutes.
- Keep valuables such as jewelry in a locked drawer.
- Go places in groups. Don’t walk alone on campus late at night and always walk in well-lighted areas. Know where emergency phones are located on campus.
- Call the police if you see someone doing something suspicious. Or call Crime Stoppers (864-8888), a KU program that takes anonymous information. In an emergency call 911.
- Be aware of your surroundings and social situations in which you could be put in danger. And look for emergency phones (poles with a blue light and a yellow phone box) around you. Emergency phone locations can be found on your campus map. For a list of emergency phone locations visit https://publicsafety.drupal.ku.edu/emergency-blue-phones
In general, Lawrence is a safe city. However, you should try to stay in groups and do not go new places by yourself. DO NOT GET INTO THE CAR OF A PERSON YOU DO NOT KNOW — that could be very dangerous. Be smart and stay safe!