You can travel in Lawrence by foot, bicycle, bus, or taxi, or you may want to buy a car because it is very convenient.

There are two bus services in Lawrence, KU on Wheels and the Lawrence Transit System. KU on Wheels is financed by the Student Activity Fee that all KU and AEC students pay as part of their tuition. You can ride KU on Wheels and Lawrence Transit System buses free of charge with your KU ID. You can get exact bus routes and schedules from the bus drivers or from the Center for Campus Life in Room 400 in the Kansas Union. For information on bus routes, fares and hours of operation for the Lawrence Transit System, contact them at 864-4644 or stop by their office located at 930 East 30th Street – Lawrence.  Their website is:

The Lawrence Transit System also has a Night Line service that operates from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. Monday to Saturday; cost is $2 per person, cash only; you must make an advance reservation during regular business hours of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Saturday; call 785-312-7504.  This service is not available on Sunday.

To drive a car, you must have a valid driver’s license and liability insurance. You and your spouse can get Kansas Driver’s Licenses by passing a test given by the Kansas Highway Department. Their office is located in the I-70 Visitors Center, 1035 N. 3rd Street, Suite 122. You can take the written test Tuesday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. You must take your valid passport and I-94 to the exam and another form of identification such as a birth certificate or KU ID.

You will need a license plate for your car. To get one, you will need proof that you own the car. This proof is your title if you just bought a new car or are registering a car from another state, or the title and a notarized bill of sale if you just bought a used car. You will also need proof of insurance. Take these to the Douglas County Treasurer’s Office at 11th and Massachusetts Streets. If you are registering a car with title in another state, a member of the Kansas Highway Patrol will verify your vehicle’s identification number. There is a $10 charge (that must be paid in cash) for this. When you register your car, you will also pay personal property tax, which is determined by the value of your car. You may also have to pay sales tax.

International Student Services has information on buying, licensing and insuring cars. Before buying a car, please go to International Student Services and ask for information on buying a car.

Kansas has laws regarding car seats and car restraints for children.  The laws are different depending on the age and the weight of the child.  If you have questions about these laws make an appointment to talk with a cross-cultural advisor at the AEC office.  Children’s car seats can prevent most serious injuries if they are used correctly. Most department stores sell car seats. You should read the directions for these seats carefully and use them correctly. Some seats are made for smaller, younger children (under 20 pounds) and others are for bigger, older children. Before you buy a car seat, be sure you have the right size seat.

One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester year, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents.
Start working on your degree now! You can take university classes for credit at the same time you are taking English classes.
Earn university credits now! You can use 9 AEC credits as elective credits toward your KU degree in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Business, and Architecture.
Fulfill a university requirement! Completion of your English proficiency requirements means you have finished your foreign language requirement at the University of Kansas.
CONNECT with the AEC