Apply to the Applied English Center (AEC)

Would you like to study at the Applied English Center (AEC)?  You will need the following items to complete the application:

  • Application fee:  First-time applicants will need to pay an application fee of $85.
  • Passport:  You will need a clear copy of the biographical page of your passport.
  • Finances: If you are an F-1 or J-1, you will need proof of available financial resources to pay for all educational, living, and other expenses for one year.  On that same website, you can see the estimated cost of attendance.  To see the estimated cost of attendance, select “Intensive English Program (AEC)” as your level of study.  Then select “Applied English Center (AEC)” as your area of study.
  • Transcript:  You will need an original, certified English transcript of your academic courses and grades from the last educational institution you attended.  Photocopies must be certified as true copies.  To be admitted, you must have a grade average of 2.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.

Follow the steps below to apply:

  1. Begin the KU Online Application.      
  2. In the application, from the “I am applying as a*” dropdown menu, choose ESL – English Language Study.
  3. In the section of the application called “Program of Choice,” search for Applied English Center.
  4. In the same section of the application, select the Term in which you want to study from the dropdown menu.
  5. Pay the application fee and submit the application.

Please email with any questions.


Learn more about AEC Tuition and Important Dates

One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester year, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents.
Start working on your degree now! You can take university classes for credit at the same time you are taking English classes.
Earn university credits now! You can use 9 AEC credits as elective credits toward your KU degree in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Business, and Architecture.
Fulfill a university requirement! Completion of your English proficiency requirements means you have finished your foreign language requirement at the University of Kansas.
AEC Tuition & Important Dates
CONNECT with the AEC